Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Old Dog, New Tricks

Today, I bought a used Nikon D200 and a Sigma 50-150/F2.8 lens. I also wanted to get a Nikkor 12-24/F4 and an SB600, but I ran out of money, so those will have to wait for another day.

There is very little not to like about the D200, but I won’t be selling my little Canon 350D just yet. The D200 is tough and heavy, but the 350D is small and lightweight. Both cameras have qualities suitable for outdoor pursuits. I want to make sure the added weight of the D200 does not interfere with my participatory style of photography before I let go of my 350D.

I won’t gush about the D200. Enough has been said about it. I will say that the 350D has met my expectations for travel and adventure photography. Flickr photographers like Chris Spira make good use of the 350D.

If you are upgrading from a 350D or a 400D, be cautious about switching systems. It could be an expensive lesson, as I've had to learn. It’s tough for an old dog to learn new tricks. Had I begun photography with a Canon SLR, I would probably still be shooting with a Canon. But I started out with Nikon. And that’s how I expect cameras to look, feel and function.

I’m just an old dog.

No comments: