Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

D300: Why I Want One

We won’t get to handle one until it is released in November. Yet everyone already has an opinion on it and so do I. Here’s why I’m waiting for one to replace my D200:

100% Viewfinder Coverage
Nikon traditionally reserves this for its pro bodies. Nikon consumer bodies, like the D200, have approximately 95% coverage.

51-Point Autofocus System
I’ve never seen anything like it before but it looks like the AF system on Canon’s renowned 1D Series, and is probably a vast improvement over the AF system on the D200.

A New Self-Cleaning 12.3 Megapixel CMOS Sensor
The increase in megapixels over the D200 isn’t all that interesting. The self-cleaning sensor is interesting but the biggest attraction for me is that Nikon have gone from using a CCD sensor on the D200 to a CMOS sensor on the D300. I believe, or hope, that this will result in less high ISO image noise, as well as reduce the power requirements.

Cleaner images, longer battery life, better AF. Woohoo! Where’s my credit card!

No comments: