Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Friday, December 14, 2007

From Canon To Nikon

Pop Photo chose the Nikon D300 as camera of the year. That’s great! Now I can feel really good about owning one until next year, when Canon comes out with something better.

I have a couple of Canon shooting friends wanting to jump ship and buy the D300. Think twice, because next year, Canon is probably going to come out with something even better. Old cameras are bound to be replaced by something new and better.

If you are buying your first camera or thinking of switching, do it for the right reasons. Individual camera bodies come and go, but you can look at the basic style, feel and handling. You are buying into a system, so look the selection of equipment, lenses, flashes, etc. Look at the companies, their reputations and philosophies. Finally, talk to (or google) the pros who do the type of shooting you do and ask what they use and why.

I tried to switch to Canon, but I couldn’t do it, and it was an expensive lesson to learn. I’m just too used to Nikon. I think my D300 is great, but if I could shoot with Canon, I have a 5D, a 17-40mm f4 L and a 70-200mm f4 L IS and never look back.

No comments: