Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Thursday, November 8, 2007

From 0 to 100: First Steps

This series of articles tracks my progress to run a 100km Ultramarathon from zero training in just 4 months.

Gear Up
First of all, my shoes are about a year old, so I’m probably due for a new pair. Midsoles lose their cushioning over time and it’s better to retire shoes too early than too late. I usually buy 2 pairs at once, and I rotate them to even out their use. Runner’s World has good information on shoes, foot types and what shoes will suit you.

Technique
This is a good time to work on my technique before I start racking up the heavy mileage. I like Danny Dreyer’s Chi Running .

Training Program
Next, I’ll find a good training program. Most training programs are based on the principles of Periodized Training. Training programs are good motivators, but I’ll cut workout days for rest days if I feel I really need it. It’s a fine line between training hard and training TOO hard. I think it’s better to arrive at the race a little under trained than over trained. Hal Higdon has an ultramarathon training program here and a marathon training guide here.

Photo:
Running Disco Ridge. Taken during The Gobi March, a 250km foot race across the Gobi Desert of China. Taken with a Pentax Optio 43WR.

No comments: