Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Friday, June 24, 2016

Shooting Bali Rides

Cool!  I was invited to Bali to ride and shoot a video for Nina FiztSimons and Ramang Kristian who own and operate Bali Rides.  I got to invite four of my friends down for this four-day gig, so I asked my wife, Laura, and long-time collaborator Aloysius Wee, President of the Kuala Lumpur Mountain Bike Hash Scott Roberts, and GoPro Distributor for Malaysia Khoo Boo Hian along for the ride.



As usual, the riding was superb.  We got to ride new singletrack, including a moderate downhill track, which was about the maximum I could handle with my XC bike.  The weather held up all four days, and the views were stunning!  If you get a chance to go to Bali, give these guys a call.

I took what I thought was a minimum of gear for the shoot, but I've learned that I can pare it down even further.  For my style of shooting, here's what I think I need:

Main Camera: 
Sony A7sii.  Full frame for shallow depth of field.  Shoots insane low light.  Useable video autofocus.

Lenses:
Zeiss 24-70mm f/4.  Relatively compact and lightweight.  A good general purpose lens.
Sony 10-18mm f/4.  Useable full-frame at about 16mm for ultrawide and timelapse shots.  Also restores wide to normal perspective at 100fps at which the a7sii crops in 2.2x.

GoPro:
Hero 4 Black.  For POV, drone shots, and anything that is going to get wet.
Essential mounts: Vented Helmet mount, Chesty, Jaws Clamp, tripod mount, Selfie stick.

Tripod:
I use a tiny Slik Sprint Mini with the center column removed and a Really Right Stuff compact ballhead bolted directly to the legs.

Drone:
DJI Phantom.  I'm still using the original Phantom with a cheap gimbal.  I've two minds about using a drone.  On the one hand, the drone is bulky, heavy and a pain to carry, set up and fly, but on the other hand, it gets shots like nothing else can.

Sound:
Rode VideoMicro on camera.  I used this for the interview with Scott and also for the temple shots, but I should really use it all the time instead of the built-in mic.  For really light weight adventures, I'm going to leave my wired lavalier mic and Zoom H1 recorder at home.

Slider:
Ratrig Mini 35.  Never used.  There just wasn't time to set it up.  All the sliding shots you see in the video are hand held and stabilized in post.  That proved to be good enough for me to leave the slider at home for light weight travel.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

good view on sea side
meet and greet gatwick
meet and greet parking gatwick

Luton Airport Parking said...

IT would be an amazing experience.
airport parking luton

DaisyParker said...

I wonder i could experience that amazing thing.
parking at luton airport

SabrinaGreen said...

Nice post. Keep sharing. parking Heathrow

Anand Shankar said...

Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.


digital marketing course in chennai, digital marketing training in chennai, online digital marketing courses, best digital marketing course, digital marketing classes, digital marketing institute, digital marketing training institute, best digital marketing course in chennai, online marketing courses, digital marketing institute in chennai, learn digital marketing,best online marketing courses, best online digital marketing courses, digital marketing training in hyderabad, digital marketing course in delhi, digital marketing institute in delhi, digital marketing training in bangalore, digital marketing in india, digital marketing course fees, digital marketing course fees in chennai, seo training, seo training in chennai, seo course in chennai, digital marketing blog, best seo service in chennai, best-seo-services in chennai, skartec digital marketing academy, skartec digital marketing

vivekvedha said...

Great information it is amazing blog .
acte reviews

acte velachery reviews

acte tambaram reviews

acte anna nagar reviews

acte porur reviews

acte omr reviews

acte chennai reviews

acte student reviews

sathya said...

Quite Interesting post!!! Thanks for posting such a useful post. I wish to read your upcoming post to enhance my skill set, keep blogging.I am reading your post from the beginning, it was so interesting to read & I feel thanks to you for posting such a good blog, keep updates regularly.
selenium training in chennai

selenium training in chennai

selenium online training in chennai

software testing training in chennai

selenium training in bangalore

selenium training in hyderabad

selenium training in coimbatore

selenium online training

selenium training



rocky said...

Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me ! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful
python training in chennai

python course in chennai

python online training in chennai

python training in bangalore

python training in hyderabad

python online training

python training

python flask training

python flask online training

python training in coimbatore

dhinesh said...

Very nice post here and thanks for it .I always like and such a super contents of these post.Excellent and very cool idea and great.

Full Stack Course in Bangalore

Full Stack Training in Hyderabad

Full Stack Course in Hyderabad

Full Stack Training

Full Stack Course

Full Stack Online Training

Full Stack Online Course


sakthi said...

Nice blog was really feeling good to read it. Thanks for this information.
Salesforce Training in Chennai

Salesforce Online Training in Chennai

Salesforce Training in Bangalore

Salesforce Training in Hyderabad

Salesforce training in ameerpet

Salesforce Training in Pune

Salesforce Online Training

Salesforce Training

Links For You said...

Kaspersky Total Security Reviews lab denies the allegation. One of the primary belongings a lot of Americans believe off at what time it come to Kaspersky is Russian espionage. Kaspersky Total Security 2019 Key