Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Monday, March 28, 2011

Peak Training for Mt. Everest

It seems there is no one 'best' way to train for climbing the big E.  With less than a month to go, Esther Tan, my team mate for Everest and fellow North Face athlete, took part in the Aviva Ironman 70.3 last weekend here in Singapore and placed 1st in her age group; also on our expedition is Grant Rawlinson, who is newly married (congrats dude!) and wakes up at 5am to  get in some quality training time; two-time Everest summiter and fellow Singaporean Khoo Swee Chiow, who will also be climbing the North Ridge of Everest on a separate expedition this Spring, is busy with his family and only has time for the treadmill at his gym; our guide, Jamie McGuiness, who is amazing at altitude anyway, is doing no training whatsoever.
CrossFit Prowler Push. Photo by Laura Liong.
As for me, the most of my long, hard training has been done.  After climbing Aconcagua last month, I promptly got the flu and was sick for a week.  When I was well enough to resume training, I was left with exactly one month before Everest.

It has always been part of my plan to 'peak' my training with some high-intensity work, and then taper off with some 'high-altitude' training.  With a month to go, I've combined the 'peak' and the 'taper' together.  I feel that CrossFit is the ideal training tool for this.  It's very high intensity, but also very short.  Which means that I'll reap the benefits of the high intensity work, but it won't leave me shattered and require a long recovery period. 
Training at '17,000 ft'.  Hypoxico generator and altitude tent on right. Photo by Laura Liong.
I've also bought a Hypoxico Altitude Tent and accessories which allow me to sleep and train at simulated altitude.  As time grows nearer to my departure, I'll gradually add in more 'high-altitude' training sessions, while reducing the CrossFit sessions.

So with less than two weeks to go, I hope I've got my bases covered between CrossFit and my 'High-Altitude' Training ;o)

3 comments:

Wordmeister said...

Hi Kenneth, hope your training will really give you all the strength and mental vitality that is so needed at high altitude.. And i know you'll do great!! All the best !! it's just next week right? joe

Unknown said...

Wow, you're right. Now it seems just around the corner!

ah siao said...

Hi kenneth I have been following your blog for a number of years since 2010

I like your lifestyle and you have been inspirational to me in alot of ways

Recently I have been wondering about altitude tents. Training for a marathon here. And you popped up into my mind immediately.

Would it be okay if I asked you some questions about it via email? Hopefully you have a email address that you can direct me to.

Thanks for your time !

Respectfully
AS
www.fb.me/ahsiao69