Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Around Annapurna 2008: Day 2

Ngadi Villager. Nikon D300, 18-200mm at 200mm, 1/250 f/8 ISO200

April 17: Khudi – Ghermu
It rained and hailed the previous evening in Khudi, and parts of the trail were still wet as we set off in the morning. The trail is really a dirt road, at least until Bhulbule, where the road ends.

Woman with baby crossing the suspension bridge at Khudi. Nikon D300, 18-200mm at 22mm, 1/200 f/7.1, ISO200

I’m happy with the camera carrying system that I’m using for this trek. My Nikon D300 with the 18-200mm lens attached (without hood) rides in a Lowepro Topload Zoom 1 Camera Bag, which is attached to my backpack shoulder strap with 2 mini carabiners. The weight is borne on my shoulders (not my neck) by the backpack shoulder straps. The camera neckstrap, which comes out of the partially unzipped TLZ1, is loosely around my neck. The TLZ1 has a handy front pocket, where my battery operated MP3 player rides. My 10.5mm lens rides in a separate Lowepro lens case and is attached to my waistbelt. Both these cases are not waterproof, and so I carry a couple of ziplock bags in the TLZ1.

We end the day at Ghermu, and stay at a teahouse where the lodge keeper was reputedly a chef at a Japanese restaurant in Kathmandu.

Crystal Lodge: Rooms *** Food ****

4 comments:

Demara said...

Wow I've seen some amazing crazy photos here, it looks like you're living a fun adventure!

Anonymous said...

hey kenneth,

I have been reading through your posts about a new camera bag, but I was just wondering if you could post a few photos of your setup. e.g. you with your backpack with camera bag strapped to front, so I have a bit of an idea of how to use my set-up. I am backpacking in Montana and climbing Mt. Rainer this summer and I plan to bring along my dslr. THANKS!

Unknown said...

Hi jungle runner,

I'm going to try to post a pic or two, but its pretty simple. The TLZ1 has a couple of D-rings at the top. Get a couple of mini 'biners and attach them to those D-rings. The trick is to find somewhere on your backpack strap to attach the mini 'biners. Sometimes there are D-rings or loops on your backpack shoulder strap that you can attach them to, other times you may have to rig something out of some webbing.

Good luck,
Ken

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kenneth!