Adventure Nomad

Adventure Nomad

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Photo Gear For Trekking

Trekking the Annapurna Circuit. Nikon D300, 10.5mm, 1/400 f/20, ISO 200.

Around Annapurna 2008: Day 9
I’m pretty happy with the photo gear I brought to Nepal. I took a Nikon D300 body, 24 gig of memory, a total of 3 batteries plus charger, 18-200mm and 10.5mm lenses, a polarizer and NO tripod. I wrote about how I carried the gear on the trek here . I would leave the polarizer back home if I had to do it again, and carry more memory.

I wanted to limit myself to two lenses, and I also wanted to keep it lightweight. The combo of 18-200mm and 10.5mm fit the bill. Jake Norton, an expedition photographer, has a great write-up on taking better expedition photos here . He uses this same lenses as part of his standard kit. This will probably be my standard travel and expedition kit as well.

The D300 is as close to the perfect expedition camera as I've come across. Long battery life, rugged, amazing AF, and Nikon's system of holding down a button and turning a dial makes for quick and easy adjustments.

April 24: Manang – Yak Kharka

This was a short and easy day. Above Manang (3540m), we decided to climb no more than 500m per day to ensure we did not have problems with the altitude. We had plenty of time and energy to push higher, but we stopped for the night at Yak Kharka (4018m). This proved to be the right strategy, and we had no problems with altitude over the coming days.

Gangapurna Hotel: Rooms *** Food ***

No comments: